Monday, February 8, 2010

McFatty Monday: Measuring Success

Whenever I attempt to lose weight, I struggle with knowing what my actual goal weight is.  According to Weight Watchers, I have about 70 pounds to lose.  To get to where I was at my most in shape EVER (sophomore year in high school), I would need to lose 50.  To get to where I was when I started dating my husband, I'd need to lose about 30.  And to get to where my doctor says I should be, I'd need to lose about 20.

The problem is that I have been overweight for a long time.  That combined with the fact that I am built pretty solidly (so I weigh a lot more than people realize) makes it hard to settle on an "ideal weight".  I want to be comfortable in my clothes.  I would prefer than those clothes be a smaller size.  I want to feel better naked.  I want my engagement ring to fit like it did the day my husband proposed.  I want to wear sleeveless shirts.

So whatever I have to lose to make all that happen would be great.  For now, I am going to focus on one weigh in at a time.  Weeks that I lose weight I will consider successful and weeks that I don't I will consider less than successful.  For now, my tangible goal will be to drop from a 16 to a 14 in pants (which would mean buying new pants!).  I'll wait and see how that feels before deciding what goal to set next.

Baby steps, right?

2 comments:

  1. Exactly! Baby steps! One goal at a time! And I agree with you... when I'm at what I feel is a good weight, my "BMI" still says I'm overweight, yet I don't look it at all!! I'm just dense :) I'm glad I'm not crazy! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby steps!! & like you said, I'm also "solid" and I think that makes it harder to set a goal. When I look very thin, I'm just teetering on BMI's scale of normal & overweight.

    So I try to go by the number on the scale & clothes size!

    You're doing great! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete