Friday, January 8, 2010

The Beck Diet Solution, Days 1-3

You're really only supposed to do one day at a time, but I was bored in the car so I listened to the instructions for the first three days.  I think I can handle them all, though.

Day 1 
The main task for day one was to make an index card and list the advantages of losing weight.  I mostly used examples from the worksheet provided and then added one thing of my own.  I guess the idea is that you will add things as you think of them.  Here are the reasons I listed:

  • I'll be happier when I look in the mirror
  • I'll live longer
  • I'll feel better physically
  • I'll have more energy
  • I'll be more physically fit
  • I'll be a good example for my son
The recommendation is that you review your cards at least twice a day while trying to lose weight.  After you hit your goal, the author says you may not need to review them as often.  I actually picked 5 times of day to review mine based on the times I know I am most likely to be thinking about eating things I should.  chose:
  • When I get in the car in the morning
  • 10 am
  • 2 pm
  • When I get in the car after work
  • Before bed
The book suggested that I make additional copies of your list to keep in various places.  I put one in my car and one by my bed.

Finally, I was asked to implement a reminder system.  The cards in my car and by my bed are hopefully going to serves as triggers for those times.  I also set alarms on my phone for 10 and 2.  I'm sure it's going to take me a while to get in the swing of reviewing my cards regularly, but it should only take a few seconds and Dr. Beck promises it will be worth it.

Day 2
The goal for day two is to pick a diet plan to follow and a backup plan in case the one you pick doesn't work for you or, in my case, you get bored.  That way you know what you do next and then there's no excuse for not dieting.

I chose Weight Watchers as my primary diet.  South Beach will be my back up.  I may even end up doing a little switching back and forth between them so that I can keep myself interested.  We'll see.

Day 3
The third day is about learning to sit while you eat.  The more I think about this concept, the more it makes sense.  For example, if I was at a party I might snack on things while standing around and socializing.  If I were required to sit before eating, I probably wouldn't eat anything.  It's a pretty basic concept, but will definitely require some retraining.

The day three worksheet asked what I plan to do when I feel like eating while standing.  I wrote,"Stop, read my response card (the index card that I made to give myself reasons not to stand and eat) and chose not to eat while standing."  

It also asked what I plan to do to remind myself not to stand and eat.  That one was a little tougher.  It's not like I could set an alarm for that.  I ended up writing, "Read my response card along with advantages card twice a day."  How else will I remind myself not to stand and eat?  Thoughts?

So there it is.  The first three days of The Beck Diet Solution.  Prior Fat Girl is hosting a discussion about the first 50 pages of the book on her blog today.  So far I am liking the book so I'm interested to see what others think.  

2 comments:

  1. I really like The Beck Diet Solution. You are motivating me to break out my copy and start working it again.

    When I did it before, I reminded myself to sit down when eating by having specific places where I would eat. And I made those places different that what I had been doing. So I generally eat dinner in the living room, so instead I'm only allowed to eat dinner at the kitchen table. And I generally eat lunch at my desk, so I moved to my office lunch room. I also got in the mindset that eating in the car was the same as eating while standing.

    I really need to get back on track with this. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. Those are good ideas. Thanks, Erin. I didn't realize you had done this before. I may need to pick your brain a little as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete