Monday, January 25, 2010

McFatty Monday: Comfort Food

In this week, Blair talks about using food for comfort.  This is something I have always done and it's most of the reason I am over 200 pounds.  I only gained about 15 pounds when I was pregnant with my son so I'm not one of those people that can blame baby making for extra weight.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and I came to the conclusion that I will probably always seek comfort in food to some extent.  So the trick for me is to find substitutes for comforting foods.  That's easier for me than for some because when I think comfort food, I am thinking savory things like mac and cheese, chicken pot pie, and enchiladas.  I don't think modifications are as easy with sweet stuff.

Which brings me to the OTHER amazing thing I made the other night - a Weight Watchers recipe.



This pot pie is so good.  It has thyme in it which I think gives it a really interesting flavor.  And altogether, it only takes about an hour to put together and bake.  All of the ingredients are super easy to come by, too.

The other cool thing about this recipe is that the base for the sauce and the "crust" (which is really just low fat crescent rolls) could be used with a bazillion other things.  I am thinking I might do lean ground beef with mushrooms and onions as the filling the next time around.  Or WW suggest switching out the traditional mixed veggies called for by the recipe for Asian veggie mix to give it a whole other feel.  Can't wait to try both of those.

I think this meal will become a staple around here because I love things that can be made ahead (this reheats really well) and can be served all in one bowl.  The cereal bowls from our stoneware set that my husband insisted we didn't need really come in handy for meals like this one.

And bonus, 1/4 of the pie is only 7.5 points!  WW suggest that a serving should be a 6th of the pie, but I have no patience for figuring out how to cut it into 6 pieces.  It's worth the extra 2.5 points to me to have more food and not deal with that stress.

3 comments:

  1. I am actually making that chicken pot pie tonight! Nice to see a real review. Yay WW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks incredible. I'm a sucker for a pot pie!

    & so smart to re-think comfort food. I'm trying to do the same thing, but sometimes it takes real willpower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, I tried the recipe tonight - thanks! I linked you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete